LIJMC 2017 Nursing Externs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the NEW extern forum board!

+9
jroggio
smiluso
spking93
ravneetkaur
Callanlouie
Carolinesilva
MMik55
LaurenMendez2
Admin
13 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
https://lijmcexterns2017.board-directory.net

Welcome to the NEW extern forum board! Empty Welcome to the NEW extern forum board!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am
Hello and welcome to the 2017 LIJMC Nurse Extern Program! I am Melinda Constantine, the Assistant Director or Nursing Education and am the coordinator for the summer extern program.  This is a first for the externs, an online discussion platform so we can chat more on a variety of topics and a place where I can pick your brains a little!  For the first assignment, I would like each of you to reply to this discussion board and tell us all a little bit about yourself- your name, school, what made you want to enter nursing, what are your interests (in and out of school), and anything else you are willing to share!

I have been the Assistant Director of Nursing Education here at LIJ for almost 3 years.  Before that, I have been a nurse educator at a few different hospitals and was also a staff nurse on a medical-surgical, orthopedic, trauma step-down unit.  That is where I started my career.  I went to school in Pennsylvania and fell in love with teaching when I was in charge of patient education classes at my hospital.  I went on to receive my Masters Degree in Nursing Education while I as still a bedside nurse.

I am married, have a 2 1/2 year old son named Lucas and two crazy dogs- an English bulldog named Brutus and a very old dachshund named Shay.  I enjoy being outside, love warmer weather, reading and spending time with family and friends.

Lets keep it going, tell me about YOU!!!! alien  Question
LaurenMendez2

Welcome to the NEW extern forum board! Empty Re: Welcome to the NEW extern forum board!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:02 pm
Hi! My name is Lauren. I'm a nursing student at Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh NY. When I'm not studying for classes or working, I love to spend time with my family and friends. I am a huge mets fan; any chance I get, I love to go to games! My passion is to become a labor & delivery or mother/baby nurse. Nursing wasn't always my first career choice but I have grown to love the profession and I am super excited to have the opportunity to be a part of the Northwell family.
MMik55

Welcome to the NEW extern forum board! Empty Re: Welcome to the NEW extern forum board!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 pm
Hi everyone! My name is Matt, and I am a nursing student at Adelphi University. Growing up I always knew that I wanted to help others for a living, and I selected nursing because I knew that I would be given the chance to make a difference in the life of another person everyday that I went to work. My dream is to one day become a critical flight nurse for the SkyHealth program. Outside of class and work, I love to cook, work out, and watch NY Ranger games when they are on.
Carolinesilva

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:17 pm
Hi everyone! My name is Caroline, and I am a nursing student at Adelphi University. I was born and raised in New Rochelle, NY (Westchester). I chose the nursing profession because I've always had a natural instinct to care for others since I was a little girl and I simply love to help others. I'm not sure which field I want to go into yet, but my interests include the OR, NICU and labor and delivery. When I am not crazy studying in school, I am working out at the gym or hanging out with friends. Other fun facts about me: I speak Portuguese fluently and I can't live without coffee!
Callanlouie

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 pm
Hey, my name is Callan! I am a nursing student at Pace University in Westchester, born and raised on Long Island. Throughout my high school career I knew I wanted to do something in the medical field but did not know where to begin. Nursing caught my interest because it was not only a great profession in the medical aspect but also involved more opportunities to be really involved with the patient and their family. I am really interested in Pediatrics and the Emergency areas of nursing because I love a fast-paced environment and kids. Fun fact about me is that I come from a large family, one of six kids and we are mix of Chinese, Italian and Irish descent!
ravneetkaur

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 pm
Hi everyone! My name is Ravneet Kaur. I was born in India and came to the United States about 10 years ago. I have been passionate about health care from a very young age. I am always up for challenges hence the reason I see myself in critical care down the road. The reason I am pursuing nursing specifically is because I know in this profession I can come to work every morning loving my job and what I do. At the end of the day, I will know I made a difference in someone's life and to me that is the most humbling and rewarding feeling Smile Fun fact about me: my first name "Ravneet" translates to "morality/ source of light" and my last name "Kaur" translates to "princess." (You may come across many other individuals with the same last name; In sikhism all the women have the same last name regardless of any differences and they keep their last name even after marriage to symbolize equality!)
spking93

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:38 pm
Hello everyone. My name is Sherina King and I am a nursing student at Adelphi University. Ever since elementary school I have had a great fascination with human biology and knew I wanted to work in the medical field. Although there are many excellent disciplines in the medical field I went with nursing because of the extensive involvement nurses have in their patient's care. During my experience in nursing school so far I have met wonderful nurse educators who have inspired me and sparked within me a desire to make a difference in my patient's life, and even allow them to make a difference in my life as well. In my leisure time I enjoy gardening, shopping, spending time with my family and friends, and going to church.
smiluso

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 pm
Hello everyone! My name is Stephanie Miluso. I am a nursing student at The College of New Rochelle. I'm doing nursing as a second degree. I have a Bachelors and a Masters in Education and always had a love for the medical field so I hope to one day bring them together. My biggest nursing interest is labor and delivery. In my spare time I enjoy hikes, archery, pottery and singing. I recently got into a little planting hobby and enjoy collecting succulents
Admin
Admin
https://lijmcexterns2017.board-directory.net

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 am
Thank you all for your intros! I absolutely loved hearing about some of your interests and hobbies. I myself like to dabble in some crafts- my favorite thing to do is actually staining and painting wood. Sounds weird but it is actually quite relaxing! Enjoy your week and keep on the lookout for more postings this week!
jroggio

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:36 pm
Hi! My name is Jamie Roggio. I am a nursing student at Pennsylvania State University. I always knew I wanted to do something in healthcare, but never thought about nursing. It was not until my grandma got sick when I was around 12 that I knew I wanted to be a nurse. I am so excited to be working in labor and delivery, but want to pursue a career to be a CRNA. When I am not doing school work or nursing related things, I enjoy working out or being with my family. I am looking forward to a great summer as a student nurse extern!
92gustavson

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 pm
Hey everyone! My name is Kiersten Gustavson and I study nursing at Catholic University in Washington, D.C. I am so excited to be back on Long Island for the summer and even more excited to be working at LIJMC! My mother is a nurse and she is my inspiration for wanting to go into nursing. When I was younger, I took every opportunity I could to go into work with my mom and remember thinking to myself "this is exactly what I want to do when I'm older." What I love most about nursing is the high level of patient interaction and truly having the opportunity to make a difference in their lives. I am really interested in the ED or ICU and eventually see myself going back to school to become a CRNA. In my free time, I like to kayak, garden, go to the beach and spend time with my family. I am eager to begin working as a nurse extern and learning as much as possible this summer!
cgreese1

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:02 pm
Hi Everyone! I'm Christina Greese and I am a nursing student at Farmingdale State College. As I've mentioned before nursing is a second career for me. I've been working in the biotech and dental field for the past 8 or so years. I have a bachelors degree and masters degree in biology/biomedical science respectively. I've always been interested in the medical field, and it took my sister becoming sick and seeing her experience that really pushed me towards nursing. In the future I would really like to work in an ICU/CCU field. Perhaps in the very distant future go back to school and get my APRN and become a Nurse Practitioner.

When I'm not focusing on school I'm hanging out with my French Bulldog, Oscar. He is really the "light-of-my-life". I also like cooking and baking, and I just started working on modern calligraphy as a hobby. I am really excited to be a nurse extern at LIJMC, this summer, and learning as much as possible.
ngirimonte

Welcome to the NEW extern forum board! Empty First Forum Post

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm
Hi! My name is Nikki. I am going into my senior year of nursing school at Molloy College. I became interested in nursing in my sophomore year of high school when I was thinking about colleges. At this time, my little brother was born (he is five years old now) and I knew since then I wanted to eventually work with children. My guidance counselor in high school enrolled me into an internship for students in their senior year of high school. We went to Huntington hospital everyday and shadowed a nurse in all different departments. I saw amazing things! This really solidified my decision to go into nursing as a profession and I haven't regretted it since. Since experiencing clinical, my interest in pediatric nursing has only increased, but I do like the opportunity for a Med Surg externship so that I can learn a lot more. Outside of school I enjoy spending time with my friends and family.
I am so thankful for this amazing opportunity and excited to begin!
allymarcello31

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am
Hello! My name is Alexandra Marcello (but call me Ally) and I was finally able to register to this website. You all now know that I had to create 3 accounts and finally one worked! Anyway, I'm from Merrick and I'll be working in the PACU this summer. I go to Catholic University in Washington DC with Kiersten (Go Cards!). My dad convinced me to be a nurse due to my personality and I'm happy he did.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum